1859 Prof. Buchner opens the homeopathic hospital
The history of the Krankenhaus für Naturheilweisen reaches back to the mid-1800s. The "Münchner homöopathischer Spitalverein" (Munich homeopathic hospital association) was founded in 1951. Prof. Dr. Joseph Buchner, homeopathic general practitioner at the court of King Max II. of Bavaria, established a homeopathic hospital in 1859 with royal approval receiving funding from the association and using his own funds.
The purpose of this hospital on Wiesenstraße 6 (Königinstraße today) was to "treat poor servants, family members and workers free of charge, but also paying patients were admitted. The patients are completely provided with food, medicines and treatment" (from "Medizinische Topographie und Ethnographie der königlichen Haupt- und Residenzstadt München" (Medical topography and ethnography of the royal capital and residence city of Munich)).
After the death of Prof. Buchner in 1879, the hospital on Wiesenstraße was closed. A new hospital with 16 beds was opened in 1883 on Heustraße (Paul-Heyse-Straße today) with help of a donation from Princess Julie zu Oettingen-Wallerstein of 51,000 gold Marks. The association's function as funding body of the hospital was terminated and the hospital declared a charitable trust and came under legal supervision of the government of Upper Bavaria in order to secure its on-going existence.
The small house was extended after ten years, but was demolished later and replaced with a new five-storey building. The new hospital on Paul-Heyse-Straße 20 was named Hahnemann House after the founder of homeopathy.
At the beginning of World War II, the hospital was moved out of the city to the empty castle Belle Maison in Höllriegelskreuth owned by Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe. In this location, the hospital survived the war with little bombing damage, but had to face a new problem in the following years: The hospital now had 85 beds and was unable to function economically in the unsuitable rooms of the old castle.
Based on the heritable building right, the state capital Munich provided the trust Homeopathic Hospital with a plot of land on the premises of the hospital Harlachinger Krankenhaus. The condition was to change the name of the hospital to Krankenhaus für Naturheilweisen as well as to expand the therapy program.
After several years of building time, the Krankenhaus für Naturheilweisen was opened in 1968. The KfN was now able to meet the increasing spatial requirements and requirements of a modern hospital. Furthermore, the hospital was added to the hospital plan of the federal state of Bavaria and therefore fulfils the requirements for the covering of treatment costs by all health insurers.
A new lecture theatre was added in 1989. The hospital was thoroughly structurally renovated from 2002 to 2012 and the facilities and infrastructure were modernised. With 110 beds, the KFN offers mainstream, naturopathic and homeopathic hospital treatment to patients of all health insurers.
The medical directors of the KfN influence the mission of the KfN and contributed considerably to the success of the hospital.
Medical director from 1958 to 1989
With his charismatic personality, Dr. Zimmermann contributed considerably to the success of the clinic. He managed to pay off all construction debts and to finance the lecture theatre with a good staff selection and generous donations.
Medical director and medical chief officer from 1989 to 2014
Dr. Ostermayr worked consistently on integrating the traditional naturopathic and homeopathic methods with modern internal medicine. As representative of complementary medicine, he did not consider these different treatment methods as alternatives but as supplementation.
Medical directors since 2014
The two internal specialists Dr. med. Artur Wölfel and Dr. med. Michaela Moosburner jointly resumed the medical management of the KfN. It is their goal to further develop the dual treatment concepts with innovation and investments in order to provide high-quality complementary medicine diagnostics and therapies for patients with chronic as well as acute illnesses.